Thursday, May 19, 2011

Tarvaris x Supreme: Let the Games Begin!!

For those of you who know me personally, you know how crazy I am about my dogs and my breeding program here at AMIaBULL.  For those that don't - you're about to find out.

Tarvaris and Supreme have been a match since I first set eyes on 'Super'.  She's very cobby - the most of all my girls, and her ticking (yes I know not everyone loves it...) makes me warm and fuzzy remembering the dreams of yesteryear when I had such high hopes for my dear Frodo (of the same colouration) who turned out to be sterile. :'( 

Not only is she beautiful, but the little lady has pizzazz.  You frenchie breeders out ther know exactly what I'm talking about; every so often there's a pup that just has that special way about them that compels everyone to just stop and stare.  Not just dog people or the people at the park, but everyone.  From the cars driving by to people working in their yards, children, adults and dogs alike will turn heads as if someone called their name and then follow with their eyes. That's Supreme; It's also Tarvaris.  Tarv switched homes and came to me already proven, with some separation issues and hating a crate, but a little macho man that steals your heart the second you lay eyes on him.  He will literally make most gasp.  So much manliness strapped in that little 20lb muscle man body.  I have yet to meet another creature with that much charisma.  So the match was perfect in my mind, and I could hardly wait a second more!

Tarvaris lives in a co-home in Keswick, where his attachment and high need for ego stroking is given everything it needs and more.  He's the only one of my Co-owns that I truly feel has bonded with me every bit as much as his other 'mom'.  He's so funny to watch - he runs to me and waves one paw in the air with excitement every time he sees me again.  He does exactly the same thing to Tamara when I drop him back at home.  Not the sharpest tool in the shed, but always super happy as it seems he's on vacation no matter which home he's in.  Trust me, his good looks and personality make up for not being Einstein. I should have named him Moto Moto.

The trip to get Tarv this time was jam packed with switching vehicles (to a smaller car for the long trip; more economical and easier on the environment than pumping my truck's $80 of gas out the exhaust)and puking children (yes BOTH of my kids vomited along the way!  My son, the eldest, got out of the car at Tamara's and threw up all over my shoes and her front walk.  Kudos to Tamara, an RN, who simply responded,"Poor guy, need anything?... I'll get the hose".  My Daughter lost her lunch in the stop and go traffic on the way home.  All over the car seat.  Need I say more?). Tarvaris, on the other hand, slept at my feet for the duration blocking the AC just enough that I'm pretty sure his swimmers were chilled for the week's coming events while the rest of us dripped sweat.  That's my Macho Man alright.

Supreme joined us the next day, dropped off by her amazing co-owns with a care package better than most kids get when going away to school!  She's loved dearly by us both and it always warms my heart to see how cherished my dogs are at their homes away from home.  Supreme is one that was very hard to see go to a co-own; My Husband loved her the moment he set eyes on her, and she's very very sweet - but the dogs that stay at 'Base Camp' (my term for my home) have to have a very special personality to deal with the comings and goings here.  It is very rare to find a Frenchie that is a little aloof and loves everyone rather than a particular person;  Who can roll with, "Sorry, honey, mommy has to go do puppies...again." and still flourish.  Supreme came to me as a teenager - learning my routine here is for a girl raised to love it from puppyhood.   My rule of thumb:  Can they give her a better home than I can provide? - And that's no easy request; my dogs are family and treated better than some humans... so when the answer is 'yes', it's selfish for me not to place them.  Very hard to do, but best for the dog.

So I started the AI [artificial insemination] over the weekend (much to Tarv's chagrin he is too short for Supreme) and was thankfully reminded that I much prefer it to natural breedings where my bruising, scratches and general painful frustration are put out of mind as soon as it's done (our household motto "What happens in the breeding room stays in the breeding room).;)  Now the real patience has to kick in.  I'm planning to keep a show girl from this pair and I'm anxious to see if it will come this first litter from them. I will know, I'm sure, when one of the pups just has this Je ne Sais Quoi that makes everyone stop, turn and gasp at her beauty when they see her. :)

http://www.amiabull.com/

yet another rant by Sheila Saar @ AMIaBULL

No comments:

Post a Comment