Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Pet Abandonment: The Furry Family Crisis

I just read an article about one of my least favourite topics: the abandonment of pets.  The article (in a nutshell) was talking about the side effects of the economy being in such a lull, and how the number of pets that families are forced to give up due to financial crisis is skyrocketing.

My reaction?  all over the map to be honest....  I know that not all people are as focused on their pets as I am.  I know this not only from seeing others interact with their pets, but also from interviewing uncounted numbers of prospective homes for puppies and, quite frankly, being mocked (sometimes in the nicest ways) by friends and family for treating my dogs like they humans - or better.  ;)  I sure I'm not the only one that has read articles and seen tear-jerking news reels about the homeless and how some people with nothing else in the world will choose to feed their dog companions before feeding themselves; and I always think: "That's awesome!!"  Would  I choose to feed my dog over my children?  Truthfully - no - so I won't be talking about if I'd feed them first if I was by myself; it just doesn't apply. 

The real question: Do I have a plan in place for my furry babies in case of emergency or crisis?  You bet your milkbones.

This is where my job as a breeder kicks in.  I ask: why are pets abandoned when things just get too tough?  Where is the breeder?!  Now, I realize that a rescued pet from a shelter may not have this option, but let's not fool ourselves into thinking that all of these dogs are from the pound.  I see dogs posted on the internet all of the time that are purebred and needing to be rehomed.  So again I ask - where are the breeders??  Most of the ones I know would absolutely insist the dog come back to them - in fact if they are like me they contract it;  meaning that if you have one of my dogs and can no longer give it the excellent care that he deserves, he must be returned to me so that I can either care for him myself or find a loving and suitable home.  Listing him for $500 on the closest classified is breach of contract - these are living things, not the old couch.  I have been known to try to re-home for a fee and and forward the entire sum to the family forced to give them up.  Here's the key:  If you are buying a dog from a breeder, be clear as to the breeders outlines as to what happens if a crisis were to occur and you need to find a home for your furry kid.  If they don't have a policy of taking the pup back (regardless of age, health, or circumstance), or helping you out for a month or two- with the best interest of your dog in mind - walk away and find a better breeder. 

We cannot control this world; that little we know.  People lose their jobs, deaths occur, divorces can leave families bankrupt... we can't plan for everything, for sure; but we can cover our bases.  Please make sure that you have emergency care outlined for all of your pets as a just in case before you pick up your new baby.  Many people never think of the worst, never mind plan for it when you're talking over dinner about adding a pet to the family this year.  Add crisis planning to the list, discuss your options, and lay out the plan with whomever may be 'Goddogparents'.  It would be much more heartbreaking for your loved one to end up scared at a shelter than at another pampered home. It's a horrible thing to have to give up a family member... make sure if it happens that you can say, "I did the absolute best thing by them I could".

Yet another rant by Sheila Saar @ AMIaBULL

http://www.amiabull.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment