Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Islay Belly Saga - "Lost Love"


So my little girl is sleepy, and sad. Her bff Scarlett went back to her other parents' house as they are back from vacation.

Now, Islay loves everyone, but she has a special attachment to Scarlett. Quite bluntly, I'm pretty sure that Islay sees Scarlett as the love of her life. And yet again we have had the phrase "too happy!!" ringing through the halls; born out of a long long time ago when my roommate (and still a bestie)had an african grey parrot that would repeat anything said too emphatically. 'No humping!' therefore was just not an option.... apart from the conjecture on how funny that just might have turned out. Well, the days of roommates are gone and have been replaced with the days of young children who, although equally funny in it's own way, do not need to learn that particular phrasing. And so I return to "too happy, Islay, too happy!". Poor, sweet, hormonally confused Islay. I love her dearly regardless. Scarlett, on the other hand, could take her or leave her. Ah, the trist of unrequited love.

And so the house is eerily quiet. As sometimes (almost freakishly) happens we have only Islay and one other pup here at the moment; and Mojave Cherry Bomb will sprout wings and fly to California within the week. And my poor Islay is lonely and missing her Scarlett pillow... At least for now she has Mojave to take out the sting. Mohave got the bath of a lifetime this morning as Islay's other new habit was to preen Scarlett over and over, as you might recall. Mojave, though, seemed to rather enjoy it - he is potentially a stud in the making.

Last night brought a new set of events into our lives, as frenchies so enigmatically seem to do. Islay, who eats raw, was given a yummy dinner of part of a beef roast, spinach, cucumber and romaine. Islay never turns away food; at least not to date. In fact in my experience even the pickiest of dogs won't refuse raw meat. So eating her meals hasn't been an issue and it's left me curious as to what will happen when and if she gets the morning sickness that hits most for a least a couple of days around this point. Well, suffice it to say I am no longer curious. After 45 minutes of repeated eating, gagging, vomiting and re-eating the froth, Islay's tummy finally decided that the plate would stay clean. I, on the other hand, was just about ready to join the festivities. Now, for those of you that have seen a dog vomit (which I don't highly recommend) leftovers, or kibble or grass... you know, the typical ick, and have been thoroughly disgusted: I will very strongly urge you to not feed large pieces of raw meat to a dog that may be sick at the stomach. I believe I may have psychological damage from the experience. All that said, breakfast went down swimmingly and I think I'll stick to ground meat for her for awhile.

I have noticed a bit of swelling of the 'ninnies' (a southern word for nipples that I recently learned from a breeder I mentor - another new bestie, a second pea in the pod, and the giver of great southern phrases) which is pretty typical of early pregnancy so I have high hopes. Linda, Islay's sister and litter-mate, recently had a gorgeous litter of 4 pups so I'm continually rubbing the belly and giving those babies a pep talk. My daughter (who has an uncanny ability to guess the correct number of pups in a litter) had a wonderful conversation with the Islay belly convincing her to have 7 puppies. I may buy her that ipad she wants if she gets the Islay belly to do it and they look like Linda's!! ;)

Well, off to rub that belly! More soon!


- another AMIaBULL 2 cents from owner Sheila Saar -

No comments:

Post a Comment